Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Preparation

I managed to get some writing done tonight, which I'm very chuffed to say. :-)

I'm particularly happy about this because -besides the fact that a day in which getting any writing done is a day to be celebrated- I'm tired as hell and really need to try and get a full eight hours of sleep before I'm back to normal; I was worried that I wouldn't be able to concentrate, blahblahblah...

But when I opened up the Word Doc and re-read what I had written two nights ago the gears began clicking and the pistons began pumping and the scenes that I had already completed, focusing on two of the characters as they prepare for the impending battle, took on more shape and scents and sights. I dived in and am pretty damn chuffed with what I've done. :-)

You see, these two scenes (along with a third that'll be written tomorrow night) are scenes that set the stage, emotionally, for the main characters involved in the battle. The scenes prepare them for the bloodshed ahead, and for one of the characters, it was also a chance to explore him a bit more; I'd created and imagined this fat old man (who was, believe it or not, an absolutely pivotal character in earlier half-drafts) but I didn't really know him. Now I do, and now I can say that he's going to be a pivotal part of the battle - one of the cogs upon which everything turns. :-) He's surprised the hell out of me, something I'm very glad to say.

I don't think he'll survive the battle - it makes sense for the plot to have him see his ass- but maybe something else that's been cooking away in my subconscious will bubble forth in time for tomorrow's session...

Wordcount for the evening: 1119 words
Wordcount for the novel: 32387

No comments:

Post a Comment