Tuesday, August 10, 2010

One of those strange writing-days...

I'm sick as a dog. I literally sound like a dog barking, that's how bad my cough is. My girlfriend says I'm running quite a fever and as soon as I get out of bed to go and have a cigarette (I've spent the whole day in bed) I freeze my ass off even though I'm wearing Winter-jammies and slippers and stuff. I may not even go to work tomorrow, either, and as far as I remember, this is the first time I've been sick since I started working at the bookshop in April last year.

So (and I ask this with tears of gratitude in my eyes), how the hell is it possible that I've had the best damn writing-day I've had in a while?

Seriously, I've finished Chapter 9, have completed the first scene of Chapter 10, and my total word-count is now sitting at 45541 words. Guess how many words I wrote today?

3963 words.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining; far from it! I'm ecstatic, actually. I just don't understand it. :-)

I guess I've come to realize one very important thing about writing:

No matter how you feel or what's happening on a particular day, you can still kick ass.

Now I'm going to try and backtrack and think about what I ate, drank, how I walked, etc... ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I always do my best writing when I'm sick, or pissed off, or depressed or something. If I'm having a pretty normal, happy day, my writing sucks. I don't get it either. I guess something about being in conflict with myself spurns my muse.

    I'm glad you had a great writing day!! Those are always fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually stunned at this turn of events - I wasn't expecting to finish two chapters, and not only have I done that, I also introduced another character (needed to help a certain other character) and set more events in motion... Still stunned - 5008K for the day.

    Thanks for the comment, Sarah - at least I'm not the only one who goes through this! :-) A fantastic day indeed! :-)

    ReplyDelete