Monday, September 6, 2010

Almost-Halfway Blues

So, er...

I'm almost at the half-way mark (projected, that is) of my novel, and things are weird. I'm not sure why, exactly; you see, I've got everything basically planned out - Character X will be going slightly mad and seeing things that may or may not be there, Character Y will accidentally kill someone, Character Z is finding out that the darker side of the spectrum can be liberating, etc. etc. So why is it that in two weeks+ I've only managed to write about 2000 words?

To put it bluntly, this is driving me slightly fucking nuts. I sit down to write, knowing what I want to write, but what ends up coming out is the biggest load of crap even my strange mind can come up with. :-(

I've been sitting and wondering why this is - it's not like I'm losing faith in my story, in fact, I'm pretty damn chuffed with it, and proud of myself for what I've accomplished. I even know how this book ends, and what emotional journeys my characters need to go on to reach that destination. I've decided that some part of me is still terrified of finishing this novel - or maybe that's just the excuse I've come up with, I'm not really sure. In any case, I seem to be hesitant for some reason - maybe everything is catching up with me now - It's taken me seven months to write as much as I have already, and I want to finish this novel before 1 Jan 2011; now, that goal seems a bit lofty. And I guess a part of me is scared that maybe I don't have enough story to hit the projected 120K - the pace of the story has definitely picked up and there's more happening in every chapter.

Anyway, as the saying goes, 'We'll see.'

Hopefully, whatever it is that's buggering me up will leave and my next update will be to say that I've hit 60K. Hold thumbs, huh? :-)

4 comments:

  1. You'll be fine. I felt my blues somewhere near the middle as well. The best way to get over them is to just push forward, get the words down and fix it later, if there's anything to fix.

    You've got a support system in place so if you need anything, just shout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thumbs are held ;)

    I think you can do it. Maybe your mind just needs a little rest before you can attack it refreshed?

    I still have many doubts even though I'm in the editing process. Don't sweat it if you don't make your deadline, a great story can't be rushed :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is typical case of the I-Don't-Wanna's. I'm there with my current project [was, will be]. I overcame my fear to sit down and write, but I am by far not happy with what I created. It's driving me nuts. BUT I have set myself to finish my draft by the end of the month. It's a short novel [okay short draft].

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I'm going to be downing the coffee I made about a half-hour ago and then get the earphones on and write - I'm at 55K now, so need to update the wordcount, but I'll get there. :-) Thanks again guys!

    ReplyDelete