Thursday, September 16, 2010

Half-way and Beyond

So, it's been a while since I updated the blog, I know. :-( Two things were in my way - reaching that 'half-way' milestone and not having an internet connection for the past week.

You see, I reached 60K last week already. :-) And yes, I was extremely happy with myself! I've been working on this novel since February this year and it sometimes felt as if I would never reach the point where I was half-way done with it. I'm sure you know how it goes - sometimes you look at the screen and think, "What the FUCK am I DOING?!" and other times you look at the screen and think, "Hell yeah, man, HELL YEAH!" As a newbie writer, I've had a helluva lot of both thoughts... ;-)

And now that I've reached the half-way mark, there's a couple of things I know and a couple of things I'm still learning:

a) I know that I can write, constantly, working on the same project, and achieve at least 63297 words. That, my friends, is a massive thing. I written plenty before -give or take 115000 words, in fact- but I've never written as much on one project. The realization that I can is, to put it lightly, enormous. It means that just maybe I can finish this book, that I can bring this 'child' into the world.

b) I know that starting a novel is easy - hell, too damn easy. But slogging away, getting the words to flow from the imagination through the brain down the nerves and out of the fingertips, is insanely difficult. INSANELY.

c) But I also know that I've never done anything more rewarding. Even though my novel might turn out to be crap, even though there's a bigger possibility of it not being published than being published, I'm proud of what I've managed to do so far. 'Cause you know what? When the words are a struggle and a pain, it hurts. Like hell. But when the words flow, no waterfall on any terrestrial planet has ever flowed with more beauty and power. When the words work, they WORK. :-)Homo Sapiens has this obsession with creating, and I understand it now.

d) Getting out the first 10000 words is easier than getting out the remaining 57000 words... Hear me out: As far as I can tell, the first 10000 words is where you lay the groundwork, spread the seeds, and lay the rules. If you've done that as well as you can (and I don't say 'correctly' because I don't believe that there is a 'correct' way to write) then the imagery and conflicts and characters will keep you going until you hit the half-way mark. Once you've hit this next level, things become infinitely more hectic, because now you have to really open up that throttle - every path you've been exploring now needs to be moving towards the destination, and poor you if you don't know where you're going. You have to know. If you've come this far and you don't... *shakes head* You've got major problems. Even though I've got about 57K to go, I've got to start moving towards that end-game, pushing and prodding my characters to make sure that they get there in one piece - that I get there in one piece. The kind of focus, now, is different. The exhaustion at the end of each session is deeper. The exhilaration? Bordering on orgasmic. At least for me, that is, though I'm sure that most writers will agree. :-)

So, here's to the first 60K+. :-) The first of what'll hopefully be millions of words. :-)

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Great work mate!!
    Hope you finish it.No, hope you finish it well!!

    Hats off ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yep, I aim to finish it well indeed. :-) Btw man, here's an embarrassing question - who are you? Not much info in your blogger profile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on achieving 60k. I've just reached it myself on my latest project. If you enjoy writing, wait until you hit the editing stage. I've written 14 novels but have only just hit a point where I feel happy and confident enough to start approaching publishing agents. I spent about a year editing (just editing, not writing) my last work, and after I've finished my latest, I'll go back and edit with a new eye. It helps.

    Again, well done...

    ReplyDelete